no_image      
  Additional Images - External Websites

1.
2.
3.

Pictures shown above are the property of the websites and their owners as listed above.
References:
Willie Beedie

Steam Drifters: Jim Tarvit

Olsens Almanac

 
 
 
     
Port Letters & No: 
Owners & Port History
 
BK 246
( chronological order)
 
Name:     

1. Owner: J Collin and others.

 
Faithful  
Official Number:  Port: Eyemouth  
125501 2. Owner:   
Built:  Port:   
1907 J Weatherhead. Eyemouth. 3. Owner:   
Type of Vessel:  Port:   
Steam Drifter, 1st class, 9 men, nets and lines. 4. Owner:   
Length:  Port:   
87.7ft loa., 19.4ft.b., 8.4ft.d. 5. Owner:   
Tonnage:  Port:   
86grt., 9nt. 6. Owner:   
Engine Power:  Port:   
T3cyl steam engine 31nhp. by Messers Baird and Barnsley, North Shields.    

More information?
If this boat is part of your family heritage and you have some information or pictures that you would like to share, then please get in touch using the 'contact' section above.

     
Radio Call Sign:       
       
Years:       
1916 to 1919      
           
 

History: 

 1907 January 15th., vessel launched. She was named Faithful by the skippers daughter. ( She is described by the local press as the first steam drifter to be built by Weatherheads but the records show three having been built for Shields in the 1890s: SN 88 Lilian Maud, 1890; SN 154 Nancy Hunnam, 1892; SN 198 Scotia, 1894.)

1907 April 30th., successful trials run. A large group of 150 from the family of the owners and from the builders enjoyed refreshements on a trip north to St Abbs and South to Berwick. The vessel achieved a speed of 10 knots.

1907 April completed and registered Faithful, BK 246. vessel to pursue line fishing until the herring season.

1907 August 13th. the Faithful landed 200 cran of prime herring at Eyemouth which sold for £140. This was believed to be the biggest shot landed at the port up to that time. She appears to have been a well fished boat throughout her life.

1909 July 5th., the Faithfuls engine broke down while she was 50 miles out. The crew sailed her bhome using their sails. For the last part of the journey she received a tow from BK 269n  Mary Maltman who went out to assist her.

1909 December 10th., the Faithful went to the assistance of a steamer, the Locksley, which had broken down two miles off Eyemouth.

1911 March 17th., the Faithful was seriously damaged by a fire in her cabin while moored in Eyemouth. She was repaired in Leith.

1913 December 2nd., it was reported that the Faithful was the top Eyemouth boat in the East Anglian herring season with a gross of about £2000. This season was generally regarded as the best ever for the herring fishing. The report went on to say that the Eyemouth boats were the best fished of the Scottish drifters and that they compared well with their English counterparts even though they didn't go to sea on Saturday or Sunday as was the practice of most of the English skippers, except for instance the 'Bethel boats'.

1915 October 2nd., the Faithful took the ground while entering Eyemouth and lost her rudder. She was later refloated and towed into the harbour.

1916, October, war service as anti submarine net vessel; Ad No 3102; fitted with one 3pdr gun.

Based at Poole under HMS White Oak; then at Portsmouth under HMS Victory; then at Dover under HMS Attentive III.

1917 November 3rd., renamed Faithful II.

1919 returned to fishing.

1921 June 23rd., whilst moored in Craster the Faithful heeled over as the tide fell and broke two blades off her propeller. Skipper Collin proceeded to the Tyne for repairs.

1923 December 4th., in dense fog the trawler YH 215 Audrey rammed her while she was moored at the fish quay and she sank in three minutes. The collision was so violent that she was holed mid shipd right through her engine room caisson. Other surrounding drifters were also damaged. The Faithful sank in two minutes and her skipper and crew scrambled onto the next drifter YH 714 Herring Queen. She had grossed nearly £1900 that season.

1924 registry closed vessel sunk in river Yare.